Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

1st ER visit!

The dreaded thing happened....Nais got a peanut! This is the scariest thing that has happened since my kids have been alive. Nais has a peanut allergy...4/5 on the allergy scale. We all know it and he knows it too. The problem is is that he doesn't really know what a peanut is so he doesn't know to say no if someone gives him one. Well, one of his friends at stroller strides gave him one and I saw it out of the corner of my eye...I rushed over and grabbed it out of his mouth. I sprinted to my car for the Benadryl and EpiPen (which I now have on my stroller at all times). I didn't know how bad it was going to get.

I gave him some Benadryl and he seemed to be fine for a while. Then he started vomiting everywhere. We rushed home and I took all of his clothes off cause they were nasty and he had hives and was scratching all over and saying ouchie. At that point I noticed his face was swelling up and I knew I had to jab that EpiPen in his leg. Vafa and my friend Stephanie (both on the phone) had to reassure me to give the EpiPen. I know I am a nurse but when it is your kid it's not that easy. So I said, "Nais mom has to give you an owie. I'm really sorry but I have to do it." I jabbed his leg with the EpiPen and off to the ER we went. Vafa met us there and he stayed with Nais so I could come home with Kian.














Nais got some steroids and was monitored for about 6 hours and then got to come home with 5 days of meow steroids. His friend Sam was also down at PCH in the ER at the same time so he actually had a buddy there...and one of our friends named Jeana brought her kids up to visit.























While this was all very scary, it could have turned out much worse. The doctor said the next time it happens it will be much faster so I have to have my EpiPen on me at all times. I have been coaching Nais and he now knows what a peanut is, what it looks like, and that  he is not supposed to eat them. Thank you God that my big boy is OK. I hope we never have to do this again.

3 comments:

  1. Nais boy you scare me. Stay away from those peanuts. Great job Amanda. I can't imagine how horrible that day must have been for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you were at PCH and you had a room in the D pod :-) I'm assuming I wasn't working or I probably would have seen you! I start IV's in kids all day long, but I would NEVER be able to do it to my own...it's different when it's your own kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine what was going through your mind as it was racing in various directions while you were trying to get your body to choose one to take! Good thing you saw it or you may not have acted fast enough! I am relieved that even people with medical degrees freak out when it comes to their own kids. I was trained on the EpiPen at work of course, but never had to use it. Thank Goodness. Glad that Naison is okay (and you are too) from this incident.

    ReplyDelete